Jan Elliot (Jon) Wickham

Johm Wickham

It is my sad duty to announce that Jan Elliot (Jon) Wickham passed away on 2nd June 2015.  The life of Jon will be celebrated on Tuesday 9th June.

Jon passed away peacefully at Fairview RSL Care, Tuesday, 2nd June, 2015. Dearly loved Father of Marney, Lance and Naomi, Grandfather of Adrian, Jonty, Lily, Michael and Luca. Relatives and Friends are respectfully invited to attend Jon’s Service, to be held in the Alex Gow Chapel, 56 Breakfast Creek Road, Newstead, Tuesday, 9th June, 2015, commencing at 2 p. m.   In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Fred Hollows Foundation and Remembrance House.

Jon was in the Army for a total of 376 days during the Vietnam Conflict between 14th September 1965 to 24 September 1966. He served as a Gunner in the 1st Field Regiment and 105th Field Battery.  During this period, Jon was a member of a gun crew which provided crucial and precisely accurate fire support to Australian troops from D Company 6 RAR pinned down at the Battle of Long Tan.  Jon’s unit fired 3198 rounds in the three hour  battle.


The President of the Kenmore-Moggill RSL Sub-Branch respectfully invites all members of the RSL and members of the Vietnam Veterans Association to attend the funeral of Jon Wickham to pay tribute to the service he provided this country.

105 Gun

Accurate and sustained artillery support. The photo shows A 105-mm L5 Pack Howitzer from 105th Field Battery firing from the Bien Hoa gun position, South Vietnam. Eighteen similar guns at the 1 ATF base at Nui Dat provided Delta Coy close support during the Battle of Long Tan.

The 1st Field Regiment was initially formed in May 1945 at North Head, Sydney. In April 1965 the decision was taken to deploy the 1st Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (1RAR) to Vietnam. This resulted in an expansion of artillery regiments by the addition of a third field battery. 1st Field Regiment’s order of battle for deployment to Vietnam was 101st Field Battery, 105th Field Battery, 161st Field Battery Royal New Zealand Artillery and Headquarters Battery.

In February 1969, 105th Field Battery returned to Vietnam for a second tour of duty to be followed by the remainder of the Regiment a month later. On completion of their final tour of duty, the Regiment returned to Sanananda Barracks, Wacol in March 1970.