Veterans in residential aged care: how to keep in touch



Veterans, war widows and war widowers living in residential aged care can be at risk of social isolation, depression and feeling ‘cut off’ from the ex-service community.

The care, support and companionship offered by ESOs can mean a great deal to those in residential aged care. Visits from ESO members can also provide great opportunities to increase the awareness of the support you can provide.

Due to privacy provisions, residential aged care facilities cannot provide resident details without the person’s consent. However, there are ways you can volunteer to visit and make contact with residents.

The Community Visitor Scheme (CVS) network

The CVS is a free, national programme which provides one on one, regular companionship to socially isolated people living in Australian Government-funded aged care facilities. They would welcome input and support from ESOs.

ESOs can get in touch with the CVS Network Member in their state or territory by going to the My Aged Care website at or telephoning the My Aged Care national contact centre on 1800 200 422.

Make direct contact with residential aged care facilities in your area

ESOs can also contact residential aged care facilities directly to provide details for residents who are eligible or interested in receiving veteran-specific support for themselves and their families.

You may like to approach aged care facilities and ask if they could facilitate regular contact, for example, hosting a regular morning tea for interested residents.